The School of Nursing Sciences is one of the Schools of the College of Health Sciences. It was initially a department in the faculty of Medicine for close to 38 years under the Chairmanship of Mrs. Margaret Muiva and the late Dr. Joyce Musandu. The Department offered Diploma in Advance Nursing before being fully established as a School in January 2006 to offer training of nurses both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
After its establishment as a School in 2006, Dr. Joyce Musandu became the first Director upto 2009 when she passed on. Mrs Theresa Odero was appointed as acting Director for one year and in June 2010, Prof. Grace Omoni was appointed the Director of the School in 2010. Her term ended in 2016 following the appointment of Wagoro Miriam Carole who took over as the acting Director of the School.
The administrative unit of the School of Nursing Sciences is the Directors’ office headed by Director Dr. Grace M.Omoni. Functionally, the School has four Thematic Areas namely: Medical/ Surgical Nursing, Obstetrics /Midwifery and Gynaecological Nursing, Community Health Nursing and Nursing Education & Administration.
A centre of excellence in nursing education, research, community service and consultancy with scholars and professionals
To train nurse professionals, carry out research in current and emerging health issues, provide community service and consultancy.
Our Core Values
• Promote and defend freedom of thought and expression in academic inquiry and activities.
• Nurture responsible professionalism through a culture of mentorship, and role modeling.
• Promote innovative research that address current and evolving health challenges
• Provide leadership in setting the national and international health agenda.
• Initiate and sustain relevant, creative, innovative and inventive research for the benefit of mankind.
• Promote a work environment characterized by team spirit and teamwork.
• Good corporate governance, sensitivity to needs of the society and respect for human rights shall be the hallmark of the College.
• Promote sensitivity and responsiveness to social needs.
Medical/ Surgical Nursing
Obstetrics /Midwifery and Gynaecological Nursing
Community Health Nursing
Nursing Education & Administration
AUDIOLOGY AND PUBLIC HEALTH OTOLOGY